August is upon us (unbelievable as that is!), my darling peeps, which means it’s time for July favorites!
Back when I ran a beauty blog in my late teens, these monthly favorites posts were my absolute favorite (heh!) to write. I loved going through my stash of makeup, finding what I’d been loving and using most the past month and then sharing the love with other people. Well, it turns out that I still love this process – and I hope you enjoy reading this post as much as I enjoyed writing it! (That being said – please excuse the photo quality. I had horrible lighting when shooting these, so they’re as grainy as a beach on a hot summer’s day!)
It probably hasn’t escaped anyone’s attention that highlighters are all the rage these days. Powder highlighters, creme highlighters, liquid highlighters and a “highlight to be seen from outer space” are the one thing all beauty bloggers and youtubers seem to be talking about now. Apparently, I am no different – two of my favorites this months are highlighters.
- The Hourglass Ambient Lighting Palette is a true gem. I’d seen it used in beauty tutorials online countless times but never been able to get my hands on it, since Hourglass isn’t sold in Iceland. So imagine my happiness when I came across it in Sephora during my recent trip to Milan! The palette has 3 shades, ranging in both color and “glow”-intensity. My favorite is the middle one, Incandescent Light. It’s the glowiest and fairest one of the 3, so it matches my complexion perfectly.
- The other highlighter I’ve been loving happens to be bought in Italy as well – Kiko 3D Light and Glow Highlighter. Kiko is an affordable Italian makeup brand which I highly suggest you take a look at, if you ever get the chance. This particular highlighter is a creme stick, consists of 3 colors and was a part of their summer collection. You can blend them all together or use one side of the stick at a time. I usually blend them and apply with my fingers, and then layer the Hourglass highlighter on top. #justgimmealltheglowplease!
- Benefit’s Hervana Blush is the only blush I’ve worn the whole month – no lie. I’ve been traveling quite a bit, so I love that it has a mirror and a brush tucked inside! The colors are rosy and berry-toned, mixed with a light highlight, and the powder smells awesome. Plus – the swirl is really pretty. What’s there not to love!
- Rimmel Stay Matte Powder in nr. 001 “Transparent”. I can’t believe how long it took me to jump on this bandwagon! My skin always gets oily during the day, no matter what I put on it in the morning, but this has to be one of the best mattifying powders I’ve tried to date. Sure, it has a bit of a scent which I’m not too keen on. But it does an awesome job at not changing the color of your foundation, but still keeping you matte. For years I’ve been wasting money on high-end mattifying powders, when this drugstore one does a far better job than any of those. It’s a winning deal!
- MAC “Small Contour Brush” nr. 109. (sorry how dirty it is in the photo!) Instead of contouring with it, I use this for my powder highlighters. It picks up the right amount of product and is nice and fluffy, but small enough to allow precise application.
- My go-to easy lip this month for a natural every day look has been Kiko Pencil Lip Gloss in nr. 10. Totally forgot to take the cap off to show you the color, sorry about that, but it’s basically just a very natural, “my lips but better” nude shade (I will post a separate review of the Kiko brand soon). The formula is best described as a glossy lipstick pencil and it’s extremely lightweight and comfortable on the lips. The staying power isn’t great, but with such a light shade, it doesn’t make all the difference to me.
- Rich Nourishing Lip Balm by Blue Lagoon. My brother’s wife gave me this for Christmas last year but I only recently started using it and oh-my! It’s one of the best lip balms I’ve had for years – and you only need the tiniest amount for it work its magic Definitely give this product a go if you’re looking for a nice lip balm!
- I bought The Falsies Push Up Drama in Waterproof Black by Maybelline for one of my best friends’ wedding this month and it turned out to be an amazing formula! (…and the waterproof-ness was very much needed.) This is the only mascara I’ve found for the past year or so which separates my lashes nicely. Plus – waterproof mascaras hold a curl like nothing else.
- Finally, I gave the well-loved and known Urban Decay Naked Skin Concealer a whirl this month and fell in love. Mine is in the shade “Light Warm”. The formula is good but what I really fell for is the applicator – feels like a felt tip, is nice and wide and distributes product so evenly. Never thought a doe foot applicator could leave me so amazed!
Have any recommendations? Have you tried the products I was loving on this month? Have a new favorite? I’d love to hear all about it in the comments below!
-xoxo, Lady Reykjavík.